Employees’ Provident Fund Organisation (EPFO), India, with over 6.2 crore contributory members, is one of the largest organizations in the globe providing social security services for members as well as their families.
The UAN, which stands for Universal Account Number, is a figure through which employees can link their multiple provident fund (PF) accounts into one universal account. The Employees’ Provident Fund Organisation allots this unique ID number to its members.
In this post, we will delve deep into the details of UAN login and UAN account for all the relevant information.
Universal Account Number (UAN)
The UAN stands for Universal Account Number, through which employees can link their multiple provident fund (PF) accounts into one universal account. This unique 12-digit number is allotted by the Employees’ Provident Fund Organisation to members. Irrespective of change in the designation or organization of an employee, the UAN remains the same.
Thus, an employee can add multiple member IDs allotted by various organizations they work for during their lifetime under the umbrella of UAN. The UAN helps its members view details of their PF, like balance, status, transfer, withdrawal, and more.
EPFO members can provide their existing UAN numbers to the new organization they join to add the newly received Member ID from the new employer to the already allotted UAN.
Let’s see how employees can get the Universal Account Number (UAN) below.
How to get your UAN?
You can get the UAN through your employer. However, the easy way to get your UAN is through the official UAN Portal using your PF number or the member ID. Follow the steps below to get UAN:
Steps to Get UAN Using PF Number/Member ID
- Go to the official portal of UAN https://unifiedportal-mem.epfindia.gov.in/memberinterface/
- On the right-hand side of the home page, you will find the ‘Know your UAN’ link. Click on it
- The link will redirect you to a page where you need to enter your registered mobile number and the captcha code
- Click on ‘Request OTP’. You will receive an OTP on your registered mobile. Enter the OTP and captcha code again. Now, click on ‘Validate OTP’
- You will again be redirected to a page where you need to submit your details like PAN/Aadhaar/member ID, DOB, and the captcha code.
- Next, click on the ‘Show my UAN’
- Your UAN will appear on the screen
Now that you have your UAN handy, you can activate UAN to log in to the EPFO Member portal using your UAN.
How to activate UAN to log in to the EPFO Member Portal?
To activate UAN, there are some details that you need handy, such as your PF, member ID, and UAN number. You may follow the steps below to activate your UAN online to freely access the UAN member portal.
Steps to Activate UAN
Here are the steps to follow for UAN activation:
Step 1 – Go to the official UAN portal login site at https://unifiedportal-mem.epfindia.gov.in/memberinterface/
Step 2 – On the right side of the homepage, under the Important Links section, look for the ‘Activate UAN’ tab and click on it
Step 3 – You will be redirected to a page where a form will appear that you need to fill
Step 4 – Once done, click on the ‘Get Authorization Pin’
Step 5 – A four-digit PIN will be sent to your registered mobile number that you need to submit to activate UAN
Step 6 – Lastly, you can create your login ID and password to complete the activation process
Use the credential (ID and password) to log in to your UAN account.
Let us now check the procedure to log in to the EPFO member portal using your UAN. But before that, here are some details you must have to access your UAN account.
Details required to access your UAN account
- Your Universal Account Number (UAN)
- Your mobile number (registered with UAN)
- Password (in case you already have an account)
Process to log in to your UAN account
As mentioned, you need your UAN number to access the portal of EPFO. You can get your UAN by the process mentioned above. Once you get your UAN, you can log in to the EPFO account by visiting the official portal of EPFO and following the steps below:
Step 1 – Visit the EPFO portal https://www.epfindia.gov.in/site_en/index.php
Step 2 – Look for the ‘Services’ section in the top menu bar and click on it. You will see a drop-down menu with options. Click on the ‘For Employees’ option
Step 3 – You will reach https://www.epfindia.gov.in/site_en/For_Employees.php
Step 4 – On this page, look for “Member UAN/Online Services (OCS/OTCP)” under the ‘Services’ section and click on it
Step 5 – You will be redirected to https://unifiedportal-mem.epfindia.gov.in/memberinterface/
Step 6 – On the right-hand side of the screen, you can see – Universal Account Number (UAN) MEMBER e-SEWA service
Step 7 – Enter your UAN and password to access the account (Those who have set up their account previously and generated a password can log in immediately to their UAN account)
Step 8 – Log in to the EPF account to view details like UAN card, personal information, EPF balance, withdrawal and transfer, etc. You can download UMANG or (Unified Mobile Application for New-age Governance) on your mobile to access your UAN account on mobile.
Those who don’t have the password can create a password for your UAN account. Below are the steps for the same.
Steps to Create Password for UAN Account
If you haven’t yet set up your account and don’t have a UAN password, you can generate it by following the steps below:
However, this requires the applicant to first activate UAN, which we have already mentioned above. Once activated, follow the below steps for password creation.
1. Log in to the Universal Account Number (UAN) MEMBER e-SEWA service
2. Look for the ‘Create Password’ tab and click on it. Next, click on ‘Get OTP’
3. You will receive an OTP on your registered mobile number. Enter it in the required field. Now, click on ‘Validate OTP’
4. Now, enter the password you want to set in the “New Password” space. Re-enter the number and click on the ‘Confirm Password’ button. (Remember to create a password with a minimum of 8 characters, which must be a combination of numbers, letters, and special characters.
5. Finally, click on the “Submit” tab to set your password and log in to your UAN account.
If you forget your UAN password or if you want to reset your password for security purposes, you can do so by following the below steps.
Steps to Reset UAN Password
Below are the steps to reset your UAN password:
- Go to the UAN member portal login page: https://unifiedportal-mem.epfindia.gov.in/memberinterface/
- Search for the ‘Forgot Password’ option and click on it
- On the required field, enter your UAN number
- To verify the ID, enter the captcha code displayed on the screen correctly
- You will receive an OTP on your registered mobile number
- Enter the OTP and click on the ‘Submit’ button
- Once your ID gets validated through OTP, you will get a prompt on the screen to reset your password
- Get the password changed with the desired password of your choice generated with letters, special characters, and numbers
Visual Stories by Mahindra Paybima
How to Access UAN through Any Other Way?
You may access your UAN in many ways. We already mentioned above in the post how to access the UAN number online through the UAN portal. Also, you know that you may seek the UAN number from your employer. Besides the above, there are other ways to access UAN to enter your PF account and manage it. Let’s discuss them now:
The Umang app is an easy way to access UAN. You may download the UMANG app on your mobile to access all the services that are available on the UAN portal.
You can check the EPF balance via the message facility. Send an SMS – ‘EPFOHO UAN’ to 7738299899 number and get the details on your phone.
The facility for a missed call is also available to check the PF balance. All you need is to give a missed call to 01122901406 and receive an SMS showing your EPF balance.
Information about your PF can also be obtained from your nearest EPFO office by visiting it. You can transfer or withdraw your EPF funds, or even request a passbook, etc., by visiting your EPFO office.
Documents Needed to Open UAN Account
Below are the documents to get your Universal Account Number (UAN):
Details of Bank Account:
Bank account number, branch and IFSC code
Photo identity card like an Aadhaar, your driving license, voter ID, passport, and SSLC Book
Like utility bills, a copy of ration card or rental/lease agreement, etc., with your present address
PAN card (linked to the UAN)
Aadhaar card (linked to a bank account and mobile number)
How to Download a UAN card online?
You can download your UAN card if you have a valid EPF number with an active UAN and password. Follow the steps below to get your UAN card:
- Go to the official portal of UAN https://unifiedportal-mem.epfindia.gov.in/memberinterface/
- Submit the UAN and password in the required field under the Universal Account Number (UAN) MEMBER e-SEWA service section.
- Also, enter the Captcha Code and click on the ‘Sign in’ button
- Under the ‘View’ tab, click on ‘UAN Card’
- You can see the card linked to your UAN account on the page that appears
- Look for the ‘Download UAN card’ tab on the right-hand side of the screen
- Download the card and save a soft copy, or you may print a hard copy and keep it for future use
How to Link Aadhaar with UAN?
Below are the steps that an employee with a UAN number and password can use to link UAN with their Aadhaar card:
Step 1 – Go to the EPFO portal https://www.epfindia.gov.in/site_en/index.php
Click the ‘Services’ on the top navigation and look for the ‘For Employees’ tab in the drop-down menu.
Step 2 – Look for “Member UAN/Online Services (OCS/OTCP)” under the ‘Services’ section on the age that appear and click on it
Step 3 – You will be redirected to a page. On the right-hand side, you can see the Universal Account Number (UAN) MEMBER e-SEWA service; click on it
Step 4 – Submit your UAN and password along with Captcha to sign in to your account
Step 5 – On the top panel, search for the ‘Manage’ button and click on ‘KYC’
Step 6 – Choose the option of Aadhaar. Submit and save your name and 12-digit Aadhaar number
Step 7 – Once done, you can see your KYC details under the ‘Pending KYC’ tab, which needs to be approved by your employer. Once approved, the details will feature under the ‘Approved KYC’ tab (which might take around 15 days)
How to Update your e-KYC for Your EPFO Account?
To update e-KYC, follow the steps below:
- Use your UAN and password to enter the EPFO portal (follow the same steps as for linking Aadhaar to UAN till you reach step no. 5)
- On the ‘Manage’ tab, choose the ‘KYC’ option
- Choose the option of KYC documents that you would like to add, such as ‘Bank’, ‘PAN’, or ‘Passport’
- Enter the details like PAN number, passport number, and bank account with IFSC number. Now, save the information by clicking on the ‘Save’ button
- Under the ‘KYC Pending for Approval’ heading, your KYC details will appear
- The process will be complete once the EPFO verifies the details
- You can see your details under the ‘Currently Active KYC’ section
How can EPFO users file e-nominations through UAN?
To file e-nominations through UAN, complete the same steps as mentioned above. Once you log in to your UAN account using your UAN and password, reach the ‘Manage’ tab and select the option of e-nomination.
- On the page that appears, click on the ‘New Nomination’ tab
- You can see the ‘Profile’ details tab on the screen. Fill in the details and click on the ‘Proceed’ button
- Under the “Family declaration’ tab, choose the option ‘Yes’
- Next, submit the nominee’s details (name on Aadhaar, DOB, gender, relation, bank account details, guardian details for the minor nominee, etc. Also, upload the photo of the nominee
- Save the information by clicking on the ‘Save Family Details’ option. To add more than one nominee, you can click on the ‘Add Now’ button
- Click on ‘e-sign’, and an OTP will be sent to your registered mobile number. Enter the OTP and press the ‘Submit’ button
DigiLocker Facility Available for EPFO Members
To secure their important documents and details, EPF members can use the services of DigiLocker. Below are the EPFO details that can be saved on DigiLocker:
- UAN Card
- PPO or Pension Payment Order
- Certificate of Scheme