I do, as always, have questions about the outbreak of armed conflict by the UK. That is unsurprising. I am a Quaker, but would add that I am not a pacifist: I recognise that there are occasions when war is unavoidable.
Some of those questions are:
- Why is this intervention required?
- Why is this intervention required now?
- Why is this intervention needed when no engagement is required in Gaza?
- How will the government know when this war should end?
- What will be the required evidence that the war has succeeded?
- What level of casualties will be tolerated?
- Why will those casualties be tolerated?
- Was there really no alternative to this action?
I am not convinced satisfactory answers to these questions can be supplied.
And I am troubled that we can find funding for a war, but not pay settlements. In that case, is this war really all about politics, as I fear?