Okay, so you bought a policy from State Farm but now you’re thinking about canceling it. Of course it’s important to have enough insurance coverage to protect your assets, but you may want to switch to a different insurer and revise your coverage.
Making the decision to switch insurance providers isn’t an easy decision either. So, congratulations on making that decision, and we’re here to help simplify the process for you.
State Farm is among the most well-known insurance providers with an established history in the U.S. insurance landscape. Since it has a rich history, many of you wanting to cancel your policies are likely State Farm customers. It’s not a confusing process, so we’ll walk you through canceling your policy with State Farm.
State Farm’s Cancellation Policy
You can cancel your State Farm Insurance policy immediately upon request or at a specified date. You will need to provide certain information, including your name, date of birth, and your insurance policy number to cancel your coverage.
Luckily, State Farm doesn’t charge a cancellation fee and lets you cancel your policy any time. You can also receive a prorated refund if you have prepaid your insurance premiums.
How to Cancel Your State Farm Insurance Policy
You can follow the following steps to cancel your State Farm policy:
Discuss Your Coverage Changes
Talking to your agent about coverage changes is the ideal first step to canceling your State Farm insurance policy. The agent can help you with a number of situations.
First, if you want a short-term cancellation, your agent can suggest a temporary suspension of coverage that you can reinstate easily at a later time. Secondly, if you’d like a different coverage, your agent can help you find one that best fits your needs. Regardless of what you decide to change, speaking with your agent can greatly help you make any final decisions about canceling your policy.
Canceling Your State Farm Policy by Phone
- Contact your local State Farm agent and specify that you want to cancel your policy. You’ll need to provide your policy number, name, and date of birth. If you have and want to cancel your auto insurance policy, you can call 800-STATEFARM. You can’t cancel any other types of policies via this number.
- Policy cancellations by phone immediately take effect but you can also schedule it for a later date.
- If you’re canceling your auto insurance because you sold your car, you’ll need to provide any required documentation. This includes a bill of sale or any proof that you’ve turned your license plate in to your state. You may also need to provide information about your new insurer if you’re switching carriers.
- Several states require that you inform the DMV when you cancel your policy. You can ask your agent or check your state’s guidelines if necessary.
Read More about State Farm Insurance Reviews
State Farm Insurance Review: Your Ideal Insurance Neighbor for 2023?
Canceling Your State Farm Policy by Mail
To cancel via mail:
- You must mail your letter at least two weeks prior to your intended cancellation date, so make sure you have a clear date in mind.
- Pen a letter including all necessary information. The information includes your name, address, phone number, and policy number. Make sure to specify the cancellation date. If you’re switching to a new insurer, specify the company’s name, the date your new policy will begin and the new policy number.
- If you sold your vehicle, you may need to provide proof of plate forfeiture or your bill of sale.
- Sign, date and mail your letter to the address below:
-State Farm Insurance
-One State Farm Plaza
-Bloomington, IL 61710
You’ll have to plan ahead if you want to cancel your insurance policy via mail. Unlike via phone, this method doesn’t ensure instant cancellation.
Canceling Your State Farm Policy in Person
Finally, you have the option to cancel your insurance coverage in person. To cancel:
- Connect with a local State Farm agent.
- Stay prepared with your information. You’ll need to provide your contact details, your policy number, and your preferred coverage cancellation date.
- Again, have a bill of sale or proof you’re turned in your license plate if you’ve recently sold your vehicle.
- Finally, visit your local office to confirm your cancellation. Contacting your agent beforehand might be a good idea.
In-person cancellations can be done quickly and can be effective immediately.
Canceling Your State Farm Policy Online
Online cancellations aren’t that difficult. If you’ve been a State Farm customer for a while, the process should be even easier.
- Log in to your State Farm account.
- Go to the “My Policies” tab on the top navigation menu.
- Select “Cancel Policy” from the dropdown menu.
- Follow the process to confirm cancellation and complete the process.
- You can also speak to a representative or call customer service for further assistance.
Know More About Other Insurance Cancellation
If you’re interested in learning about other insurance companies that offer free cancellation services, please refer to the following information.
State Farm already has options in place that you can choose from to cancel your policies. You need only choose one that fits your needs or is the easiest option you can use. If you’d also like to buy new coverage or switch coverage options, State Farm has an array of various insurance products that you can choose from.
Frequently Asked Questions
What happens if I have unpaid State Farm premiums?
If you haven’t paid your State Farm premiums, they can cancel your policy after a period of non-payment. Depending on the state’s laws, you may also face late fees or penalties.
Can I get a refund for canceling my State Farm Insurance?
You might be entitled to a refund of unused premiums paid if you’ve decided to cancel your policy before your term ends. It’s best if you check with State Farm directly.
How do I cancel my State Farm car insurance?
To cancel your State Farm auto insurance, make sure you contact a State Farm rep directly and inform them promptly. We recommend you have an alternative source of coverage before canceling.